Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

Pediatric: My grandson, age 2, is a very meager eater. Hes

Pediatric:
My grandson, age 2, is a very meager eater. He's been this way since birth, born 2 wks. early, under 6 lbs. Simply stated, he has little interest in food. He's somewhat underweight for age and in the lower percentile for height, but in proportion. When he gets sick with a cold or flu, he stops eating altogether, and of course, more weight loss, but does rebound. He's gets easily upset when food is encouraged, surrendering to just a few bites at best. Restaurants never work out.
This is causing mom and dad much distress, as well as grandparents now.
Their pediatrician doesn't seem to think much of it. We have never experienced this with our three children.

Talk to their pediatrician about concerns. They asked us, "do you think something's wrong with him," but we didn't know what to say.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

I can understand your concern,

PediatricMD :

picky eaters, or children who do not specifically care about food, can be a cause of concern for many well meaning parents

PediatricMD :

& grandparents :)

Customer:

Hello. Is your answer here?

PediatricMD :

Yes

PediatricMD :

I was going to suggest the following things ...

PediatricMD :

Please read these tips and let me know if I can help further

PediatricMD :

Please remember that .... if your grandson has normal activity, and weight and height within normal percentiles (even below average), it is very likely that there is no underlying medical problem

PediatricMD :

Here are a few suggestions that work for many picky eaters.....

PediatricMD :

Since my daughter belongs to the same category :) these are tried and tested too !

PediatricMD :

1. If your child isn't hungry, don't force a meal or snack. Likewise, don't bribe or force your child to eat certain foods or clean his or her plate.

PediatricMD :

2. Serve meals and snacks at about the same times every day. Provide juice or milk with the food, and offer water between meals and snacks.

PediatricMD :

3. Young children often touch or smell new foods, and may even put tiny bits in their mouths and then take them back out again. Your child might need repeated exposure to a new food before he or she takes the first bite.

PediatricMD :

4. Serve broccoli and other veggies with a favorite dip or sauce. Cut foods into various shapes with cookie cutters. Serve a variety of brightly colored foods. These not only look tastier, but are likely to be healthier too :)

PediatricMD :

5. At the grocery store, ask your child to help you select fruits, vegetables and other healthy foods.

PediatricMD :

6. At home, encourage your child to help you rinse veggies, stir batter or set the table.

PediatricMD :

7. Of course, you need to eat lots of healthy food so that the child can follow the example

PediatricMD :

8. Add chopped broccoli or green peppers to spaghetti sauce, top cereal with fruit slices, or mix grated zucchini and carrots into casseroles and soups.

PediatricMD :

9. Turn off the television and other electronic gadgets during meals. This will help your child focus on eating.

PediatricMD :

10. Finally, Encourage your child to stay at the table for the designated mealtime — even if he or she doesn't eat. Keep serving your child healthy choices until they become familiar and preferred.

Customer:

Thank you doctor. I will print this off and give to parents. Wish us all luck!

Customer:

Goodbye and good evening.

PediatricMD :

You are welcome, do remember to accept the answer/ leave a positive feedback too :)