Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My son managed to get into a bag bearded dragon feces. He

My son managed to get into a bag bearded dragon feces. He was chewing it and we arent sure if he swallowed any. Do we need to take him to the emergency room? If not what should we be looking for illness wise?

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

Bearded Dragons, like all captive reptiles, may carry Salmonella. If ingested by humans, Salmonella can cause vomiting and diarrhea; these symptoms are usually mild in healthy adults but can be fatal to infants and young children, or anyone with a compromised immune system.

PediatricMD :

So what I would like to do is observe the child after talking to your pediatrician, and if there any signs of diarrhea/ fever then he should be immediately evaluated and started on treatment with antibiotics empirically in this situation,

PediatricMD :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Customer:

Thank you for the information. We now know what we need to look out for. Very much appreciated.3333333