Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

my 7yr old son is takeing Adderall xr 10mg capsules once a

my 7yr old son is takeing Adderall xr 10mg capsules once a day. He is haveing intens anger out bursts and periods of highper axtivity, along with odd behavior ( hitting his head at times, rude behavior..) He has not had this intens behavior before and I want to know if this is due to the meds? He has been on the med for three yrs.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 4 years ago.
Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
Certainly, Adderall belongs to a class of stimulant medicines (amphetamines) that can lead to the side-effects that you are describing in some children,
I would recommend that you get him evaluated by a child psychologist for the symptoms that he is experiencing,
Anxiety, mood changes and hyperexcitability are all reported as possible side-effects with this medicine, hence a possible change to a a different class of ADHD medicine may be warranted in this situation,
Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications