Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

my eight year old granddaughter has white spots on her front

my eight year old granddaughter has white spots on her front teeth. what causes this and can it be rectified?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 4 years ago.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

In most cases there are two important causes of white spots

PediatricMD :

1. Enamel Hypoplasia can be either a distinct spot on one tooth, or diffuse streaks or cloudy opacities on all the teeth which was some kind of systemic disturbance over a long period of time.
2. Less often, spots are due to Fluorosis, or too much fluoride during development.
Rarely, if the spots were not there when the tooth erupted and have formed recently, they might be the beginning stages of decay. As far as the treatment goes, most of the time you don't have to do anything. The areas will not usually decay and, if it isn't a cosmetic problem, we will just observe the area. If the area is more severely affected it might get a cavity or begin to crumble, as the enamel is weaker in those areas. If there is a good bit of breakdown on a back molar, a crown may be needed. If it is just a small spot that is decayed then a small white filling is all that may be needed. Now, for those areas that are on the front teeth with no decay, they just look funny, then there are a few options there too. It all depends on how severe or how deep the lesion is. A technique called Microabrasion, perhaps followed by a little bleaching, can be very useful to treat these cases and make it look at least a little better and it's very easy to do. More severe cases need a white filling or more extensive cosmetic dentistry like a porcelain veneer.

PediatricMD :

A pediatric dentist can help you find the right answer to your question,

PediatricMD :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Customer:

I already knew that from her dentist I had hoped you could advise on some other treatment as fillings etc. seem a little drastic on front teeth as the patient is only eight and her teeth havn't that long emerged. I had hoped you could give me some homeopathy advice or even some diet advice. Yours liz.

Customer:

I already knew that from her dentist and had hoped for some other advice perhaps homeopathy or diet that could correct this defect as fillings etc seem a little drastic considering the patient is only eight and her front teeth havn't been that long in existance.

Customer:

Thank you for your advice, I had already heard similar from the family dentist and had hoped you would come up with some homeopathy or diet advice.As the patient is only eight I think fillings on her front teeth would be rather drastic don't you might even put her off visiting the dentist for life. Yours sincerely Liz.