Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

10 year old girl, bad stomach pains for last 2-3 days, no other

10 year old girl, bad stomach pains for last 2-3 days, no other symptoms (upper stomach area under rib cage) At the walk in clinic told to try Tums and if that didn't work to fill prescription for Nexium
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

While it most likely is just a stomach virus with cramping I hope they checked her thoroughly, especially for strep throat, which often presents with stomach ache without sore throat.

Dr. A. Clark :

If her throat looks fine and she doesn't have swollen lymph nodes (glands) in her neck then strep is not likely. For the cramps there is a medication they can give her with a prescription called hyoscyamine (Levsin, etc) that works well but you would have to ask her doctor for that.

Dr. A. Clark :

Most of these bugs just last 3-4 days so she may be near the end of it. In the meantime, the measures you are currently trying are about all that can be done short of the prescription.

Dr. A. Clark :

Nexxium is sometimes helpful if it is just her stomach that is irritated but does not help cramping.

Dr. A. Clark :

I am seeing patients (several with the stomach virus) so will keep an eye on this chat for any questions you might have.

Customer:

Is it still possible a stomach virus if there is no nausea/vomiting?

Dr. A. Clark :

Absolutely.

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.