Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

I have a baby who is 22 weeks (5.5 months old). In the past

I have a baby who is 22 weeks (5.5 months old). In the past 10 days or so, she learned a new trick- rolling from her back to her stomach. A few months ago, she was able to roll from her stomach to her back, although she has not done it in quite awhile and seems to have forgotten.

Anyway, she was sleeping consistently from 7-7 everyday for the past month. Now for the past 10 days, she wakes us up at least 5 times a night, some nights as much as 10 times and we come in a she is screaming on her stomach. She has been a side sleeper so I am not sure if she is practicing her skill in the middle of the night or falling on her stomach from her side. Whatever it is, its becoming a real problem for both us as parents sleeping and to the baby because she is very frustrated when she ends on her stomach and get get back to her back.

Have you seen this issue in your practice? Is there anything I can do that is safe?
Do we let her sleep on her stomach and let her cry it out? I know this is still a sids risk.

What can you tell me about her little problem now?

Thanks.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 4 years ago.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

I am sorry to hear about your baby's sleep problem

PediatricMD :

To be honest, this is actually a short term issue only, since as soon as she is able to roll back - from stomach to her back - and this would take another few weeks, she should be alright

PediatricMD :

We do not recommend too many things in the baby's cot, since they are all potential safety hazards

PediatricMD :

While you are correct that 'back to sleep' is preferred for preventing SIDS,

PediatricMD :

it would not really be an issue in her case, since she goes to sleep on her back / side, and actually starts crying when she is on the stomach

PediatricMD :

As you would be probably aware, you are not the first parent to face this problem :)

PediatricMD :

Here is what some of the parents have tried to deal with this problem

PediatricMD :

This includes using bolsters, letting the child cry to sleep

PediatricMD :

and just being patient,

PediatricMD :

Remember this too shall pass,

PediatricMD :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications