Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.

my grandaughter as a persistent cough ,she is not able to sleep

my grandaughter as a persistent cough ,she is not able to sleep properly,she is not eating her food , she has had or got a cold ,she also has chronic nutropena,and this cough is a regular part of any cold virus she picks up,doctors will not give her medicen because it is not on her chest but in her throat,any sugestions.regards
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 2 years ago.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

When was she diagnosed with chronic neuteropenia, and have other tests been done ?

Customer:

she has had this since birth and has regular check ups

PediatricMD :

ANy chest X rays ? for the cough?

Customer:

yes when the cough first started 3 ,4 years ago

PediatricMD :

And any family history of allergies/ asthma,

PediatricMD :

any h/o allergies in the child ?

Customer:

there is asthma in the family .and she is on medication for this

PediatricMD :

What medications is she on for asthma , do you know?

Customer:

she has blue browm and a darker inhaler

PediatricMD :

Ok

PediatricMD :

Well from your description, I believe that it is likely that she has uncontrolled asthma, that is causing the persistent / recurrent cough

Customer:

we have had that diagnosis ,problem is when she has the cough and takes her inhalers she coughs so rapidly that she cant inhale

PediatricMD :

I would recommend that she be re-evaluated for the same, and more aggressive treatment for it, by increasing the strength of the inhalers, and by using additional medication as needed (like oral steroids) be considered in this situation

PediatricMD :

In this situation, she may benefit from using a nebuliser for the acute attacks, till the time she is able to use the inhalers effectively,

PediatricMD :

these can be prescribed by the treating doctor,

Customer:

she hAS ORAL STEROIDS THAT SHE TAKES 1 EACH NIGHT

PediatricMD :

Ok

PediatricMD :

has she tried nebulisation treatment ?

Customer:

her gp will not proscribe one

PediatricMD :

Ok

PediatricMD :

Here is what I would also suggest,

PediatricMD :

a chest X ray should be done to confirm the absence of any infection

PediatricMD :

and I would suggest that the treating doctor be 'convinced' regarding the need for nebuliser treatment

PediatricMD :

since this would be useful in helping her get relief from cough

Customer:

is there any kind of cough supresant that could be given

PediatricMD :

Hmmm

PediatricMD :

generally speaking, without actually examining her,

PediatricMD :

it would not be a good idea to give a cough suppressant,

PediatricMD :

since if this is an exacerbation of asthma, this may make the cough worse ...

PediatricMD :

I would suggest honey as a good cough medicine,

Customer:

ok i will ask her mum to ask for a nebulisor

PediatricMD :

Also there are certain other non specific cough medicines like homeopathic remedies that may assist in this situation

PediatricMD :

Some of these that are likely available in UK include

PediatricMD :

Boiron Chestal Homeopathic Cough Syrup,

PediatricMD :

NELSONS SOOTHA

PediatricMD :

Etc.

PediatricMD :

Finally, post nasal drip can be an important problem,

PediatricMD :

and using an anti-allergic like cetirizine may be helpful in reducing cough too,

PediatricMD :

Is there anything else that I can help you with ?

Customer:

that all thanks

PediatricMD :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience: MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.