Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Bandemia? What is it? My daughter is sick with a lung illness...

Bandemia? What is it? My daughter is sick with a lung illness... Perhaps pneumonia ... Perhaps just a bad wheeze... Yesterday she had a chest x-ray and blood tests. Today the pedi says she has bandemia, which she said means my daughter is sicker than we realized. I can't claim I understood what the pedi said. My daughter was crying and we had been there 90 minutes so I didn't press the pedi until I understood. Can gou explain this a little more to me? Thanks.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

This is actually not really a pure medical term but rather just a "slang" term for lots of infection related white blood cells, called bands, that are present in the blood count. Unfortunately, lots of doctors use the CBC as some type of gauge of how sick someone is but it is really not very specific for what type of infection and a poor measure of the seriousness of an illness.

Dr. A. Clark :

Having done this for over 30 years I can tell you that it is still frustrating to me to see doctors use the CBC (complete blood count) as a factor in deciding whether a child is sick enough to need an antibiotic as well as doctors throwing about terms that are confusing to parents and patients. There is no substitute for a good history, physical exam and perhaps a chest xray to determine whether pneumonia is present, and even the chest xray is not really necessary, according to the recent guidelines published by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Dr. A. Clark :

If your child has a respiratory infection with fever and evidence of pneumonia or bronchitis on physical exam, then antibiotics might be required, but I assure you that the blood count is not something that points one way or another toward making what is really a clinical decision by the doctor based on a good exam.

Dr. A. Clark :

Don't worry about the "bandemia" as you'd be hard-pressed to find any scientific evidence in children that it means anything more than what a good clinician already suspects: that your child has an infection and needs an antibiotic. Albuterol is helpful to clear the wheezing in some cases and azithromycin works well for mycoplasma infection, though not particularly well for pneumonia. I suspect she has mycoplasma and will improve with these two medications, regardless of the blood count findings.

Dr. A. Clark :

I hope this alleviates some of your concern about this but let me know if you have questions.

Dr. A. Clark :

If you have no questions then I would appreciate it if you would click on the "accept" button so that I can return to the main message board to assist other worried parents. You may return to this conversation later at NO additional charge. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. Her chest x-ray was negative but pedi not convinced it's nit pneumonia. Does bandemia mean it IS oneumonia and not "just a bad wheeze"?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They gave her two neb treatments .. one albuterol and one zoponex, and then steroids. The 2nd neb brought her o2 sats to 95. Dies all this put together mean it IS pneuminia even with a negative x-ray?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We started the antibiotics yesterday. The x-ray was stat but the blood tests weren't. Or maybe some blood tests were stat and the rest weren't. Regardkess.... The main pedi of the practice decided to rx the abx despite a negative x-ray. Today we had yesterday's cbc, and today another pedi added the steroids.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So it sounds like we are on the right track with azithromycin + albuterol + steroids, and she should be better in a few days? Anything I shoukd watch for beyond fever and struggle to breathe?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid my replies got out of synch w yours. I will happiky oress accept. Are on tge right track w abx + albuterol + steroids? think she'll be better in a few days? Anything ekse i shoukd be watching for besides fever ir big struggke to breathe?
If the xray was negative and she is responding to the nebs and azithromycin then it is likely just mycoplasma (also commonly called "walking pneumonia" but not a true pneumonia at all) and she should continue to improve day by day. The steroids are helpful as well.
I'm sorry as I just discovered your responses here that were not showing on the chat function.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much!
You are quite welcome and let me know if you have further questions. I wish you and your daughter well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She is doing better with the azithromycin, albuterol, and prednisolone. Still hurts to take deep breaths but she is peppier and willing to eat and drink. Thank Heaven!
I'm glad to hear and happy that you got back with this good report. Have a great weekend.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You as well!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi. My little daughter is back to her spunky self... Martial arts new belt graduation & all! She did have mycoplasma. The lab tests came back a week + later. What is the difference betwen mycoplasma and true pneumonia? She still gets chest pain. How long will that last, do you think?
Mycoplasma is not really a bacteria but not a virus either so generally acts more like a virus causing more of a bronchitis than pneumonia. Chest pain is common with this infection and will clear up in a couple of weeks.