Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My 5.5 month old daughter has a bad cough and cold. The doctor

My 5.5 month old daughter has a bad cough and cold. The doctor here in the UAE prescribed Melrosum syrup s. Is that safe to give my baby?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 2 years ago.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

Melrosum (cough) syrup that is 96% alcohol plus sugar, honey, and herbs (and no codeine), I would not recommend its use in this small a child. I would instead suggest a non-alcoholic tea with the same sugar, honey, and herbs.

The FDA (U.S. Food & Drug Administration) advises against the use of over-the-counter cold and cough remedies below the age of 4 years due to concerns of inefficacy and side effects, especially in infants where serious, accidental overdoses have been reported.

FDA statement barring OTC cold/cough remedies below age 4 years:http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01899.html

PediatricMD :

I would recommend a pediatric evaluation since at this age we need to try to find the cause of the cough if possible

PediatricMD :

and then treat it appropriately before it gets worse,

PediatricMD :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with ?

Customer:

I went to a pediatrician and that's what he prescribed to me. The doctors here are not very good that's why I'm looking for an American trained doctor. Honey is not good for babies under 12 months so I don't know why you are prescribing tea with honey as it could cause botulism. I don't know what else to give her. She has a runny nose and because she sleeps on her back it drains into her throat and is causing her to cough.I also saw this exact same answer word for word on this site when a woman asked about this syrup for her 3.5 year old. I'm scared and I'm in a strange country and I need some REAL advice to help my child.

PediatricMD :

Give me a minute

Customer:

Are you there?

PediatricMD :

yes

PediatricMD :

Ok

PediatricMD :

1. Honey is actually used fairly regularly as a home based medicine in most eastern countries, and botulism has not been noticed in this situation

PediatricMD :

i am very comfortable prescribing it in children over 5-6 months in my care

PediatricMD :

even though the US based texts state otherwise ...

PediatricMD :

and I am a member of the AAP

PediatricMD :

I can understand your concern,

PediatricMD :

and in this situation I would suggest the following

Customer:

But it is a risk and I've lived in eastern countries for the last 10 years and never seen such horrible doctors.

PediatricMD :

1. Vaporizer - cool mist

PediatricMD :

2. lots of saline nasal drops

PediatricMD :

and tylenol/ PCM if she is irritable

Customer:

It's a wet cough though. You should vaporize for a wet cough?

PediatricMD :

Plenty of fluids, along with this is all that would be recommended by any Western doctor,

Customer:

Also...no tylenol in the UAE

PediatricMD :

Yes, the cough will become thinner, and it would be easier to expel the mucus in this situation

PediatricMD :

with a vaporizer

PediatricMD :

You would have some form of acetaminophen available for sure

Customer:

So no medicine is best?

PediatricMD :

Yes,

Customer:

What is a baby dose of acetaminophen ?

PediatricMD :

that is true for all children with cold less than 2 years age

PediatricMD :

panadol is available in Dubai

PediatricMD :

also advil

PediatricMD :

(ibuprofen)

Customer:

What if the cough gets deeper?

Customer:

Yes...panadol is available.

PediatricMD :

ask a local pharmacy for the same, i am sure you would be able to find the proper brand and the dose

PediatricMD :

To be honest there is no way that this question regarding worsening cough can be answered without auscultating the child

PediatricMD :

We need to see the child to make that judgement, and you would need to get a second opinion if you do not find any improvement

Customer:

It's really tough to know if the doctor you are dealing with in this country is a real doctor or not ans most have old school education if they are. The number of cases of fake doctors they find in this country each year is astounding.

PediatricMD :

What else can I help you with ?

PediatricMD :

Ok

Customer:

That's it I guess. Thank you. I hope she gets better because this is really freaking me out.

PediatricMD :

Here are three centers in dubai that would have board certified doctors

PediatricMD :

I understand ...

Customer:

Dubai is far

PediatricMD :

being a parent and in a foreign country can be quite intimidating

PediatricMD :

Try these links and see if it helps

Customer:

I'm in Al Ain

Customer:

it's 1.5 hours away.

Customer:

Do you have any references for Al Ain?

PediatricMD :

Let me see

PediatricMD :

I am not sure about the credentials here

PediatricMD :

but try these couple of links

PediatricMD :

This one is JCI accredited

PediatricMD :

should be good

PediatricMD :

and this one

PediatricMD :

Hope this helps :)

Customer:

2 of my students died at Al Noor 2 years ago. Thanks for your help though. Just need to get back to Canada. Everything here is a facade.

Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience: MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.