Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta , Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

I have an 11 year old that has had a headache since Mar 10

I have an 11 year old that has had a headache since Mar 10 that got severe around the 13th. On the 16th he had a ct scan that showed no problem on the brain but a sphenoid sinusitis infection. He has been on sulfamethoxazole/tmp ds t since the 16th. He had a tordal shot on the 15th in the evening. On the 16th after the ct scan they gave him a double tordal (60mg) and the antibiotic. He seemed to get relief till about the 22nd and has been in alot of pain since then. On the 24th we seen a PA and added doxycycline hyclate 100m. Onthe 26th he had a double tordal shot that didn't help so I took him to our regular doctor on the 26th and he added fluticasone propionate nasal spray,lortab,and zrtec.( had been on tylenaol 3) for pain.Yesterday I talked to the doctors office and they said to give the meds more time and to send him back to school. I am not sure where to go with this he claims it hurts worse than ever. He doen't like school and so I am not sure if he is coping out to avoid school or if there is more to the physical problems. Do we need to see an ENT dr ? I know he has some pain just not sure how bad.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 4 years ago.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

I would certainly believe that an ENT opinion is a good idea at this point of time,

PediatricMD :

Also I do feel that your suspicion that he may be trying to avoid school has some merits too,

PediatricMD :

Given the lack of any significant findings, the severe pain appears implausible,

PediatricMD :

Not many children with sinusitis have pain that does not respond to Lortab or tordal shots.

PediatricMD :

Certainly an ENT opinion would help clarifying this situation, and then further treatment including possible psychologist opinion can be considered,

PediatricMD :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications