Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada , Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 5 month old has had a phlegm cough for over 1 - 1/2 months

My 5 month old has had a phlegm cough for over 1 - 1/2 months -- we have a toddler at home that passed the cold to our baby about 2 months ago (he got over it in 2 days) our baby still has hers! She has at times ran a low grade fever but seems to be happy, energetic and eats & poops normally... what can we do besides; humidifier, shower/steam, nasal spray for an infant at this age?

ps/ I've been to the doctor and phoned the nurse in the course of the month & a half.. basically, they can't do anything and said a cold will run it's course and most likely a longer course for an infant!?

Thanks,
Ann
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Sorry about this protracted symptom. Any cough that remains for more than 3 weeks has to be investigated - blood tests and X ray chest are needed after evaluation by pediatrician.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Blood test will decide whether the illness is due to simple cold or there is bacterial infection causing bronchitis.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Most viral illnesses get cured in a week or ten days. Lingering symptom calls for investigations.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Meanwhile besides steam inhalation please try to clear wind pipe below voice box by keeping head low when she coughs. Butt portion should be raised above chest and head, while lying on tummy (on empty stomach) so that by gravity, sputum may come out of air way in couple of minutes.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

(lightly thumping on upper back)

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Generally water is not recommended at this age but in her case, sips of warm sugary water with dash of salt may help.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

I am unable to see any responses so will change to Q & A mode as chat mode malfunctions at times.

Customer:

I just made another appointment for our pediatrician at 3p today - I will suggest what you recommended here, thank you - very helpful, and hope to have a recovery plan in place by this afternoon. If this is bronchitis, will antibiotics be prescribed? I had read that antibiotics for children under 6 months of age could be a factor for developing asthma later in life - do you know any truth in this statement?

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Not true. If there is bacterial illness, a short course of such drug is OK. Some viruses are though considered to cause asthma later, as is allergy to some inhaled particles or fumes.

Customer:

good to know..

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Good luck to her.

Customer:

thank you - she's an amazing baby just feel so bad for her

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

You are welcome. Do post back when you have fresh input, meanwhile I may be off line few hours.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Please click green 'accept' button to conclude, if no more queries.

Customer:

Hi there,

Customer:

Our daughter's pediatrician checked her lungs and O2 level and both were great. We were told to monitor mood, eating, any fevers and let it run its course - apparently, nasal passage and throat/ears were not swollen or red so he thought she is on the mend.. hope so!