Pediatric2000
Pediatric2000, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board Certified Physician with a Fellowship in Pediatric Dermatology
25843817

5 year old autistic grandson has foul smelling flatulence constantly.

5 year old autistic grandson has foul smelling flatulence constantly. When it first started he didnt want to eat and he would hold his belly. Those symtoms went away and he's eating again.He's had 2 bowel movements in 8 days. Could he still be constipated?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Pediatric2000 replied 2 years ago.

Pediatric2000 :

hello

Pediatric2000 :

thanks for using justanswer

Customer:

hello

Pediatric2000 :

only 2 bowel movements in 8 days is surely a sign of constipation

Pediatric2000 :

Miralax osmotic laxative is surely going to help him if you have started it just yesterday

Pediatric2000 :

the diet of yoghurt coconut milk will also help

Pediatric2000 :

If the child has significant abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, decreased appetite, fever, or bloody diarrhea he or she needs to see a doctor immediately. Many of these symptoms can be related to constipation

Customer:

would that cause the foul smelling gas

Pediatric2000 :

foul smelling gas is ofcourse due to the stool being present for many days in the bowel

Pediatric2000 :

the bacteria work on the food and produce the foul gases

Pediatric2000 :

Some medications can make children more likely to be constipated. Common contributors include over-the-counter cold medications and antacids. Antidepressants, anticonvulsants, chemotherapy medications, or narcotic pain medications (such as codeine) can also constipate.

Customer:

is ther any foods we should not give him

Pediatric2000 :

Constipation in Children Remedies

• Give plenty of water to the affected child.

• Try 2 to 4 ounces of half-strength pear or apple juice (diluted with water). Alternatively, add one-half ounce of table syrup to 3 ounces of warm water, then administer by mouth to soften the stool.

• Add two tablespoons of baking soda to a warm bath. Let your child relax for 5-15 minutes, soaking in the warm bath.

• Applying a warm, moist cloth to the anus can sometimes stimulate a bowel movement.

• To stimulate a bowel movement, a plastic swab tipped with cotton (Q-tip) with a small amount of Vaseline ointment can be gently inserted through the anus (not too far, just the cotton tip) and promptly removed. Your health care practitioner may prescribe a glycerin suppository for the same purpose but with greatest effect.

Customer:

he's been on a banana kick where he eats like 4 or 5 a day

Pediatric2000 :

Vegetables that are particularly high in fiber include beans, especially baked, kidney, navy, pinto and lima beans, sweet potatoes, peas, turnip greens and raw tomatoes.

Other foods that are good for children with constipation include vegetable soups (lots of fiber and added fluid), and popcorn. Extra bran can also be helpful, including bran cereals, bran muffins, shredded wheat, graham crackers, and whole wheat bread.

Pediatric2000 :

try to avoid ginger garlic spices and fried foods

Customer:

he is on the gf-cf diet for his autism

Pediatric2000 :

Do you Accept my thoughts?

Pediatric2000 :

a gf cf diet itself can cause constipation

Pediatric2000 :

for a few days changes in diet would be need to be made

Customer:

hes been on this diet for 2 years with onlky occasional bouts of constipation but never with this gas problem

Pediatric2000 :

Inherited diseases such as cystic fibrosis cause poor absorption of nutrients through the intestine. Stools become more bulky as well as greasy and foul smelling. Foul-smelling flatulence will also occur. Other malabsorption diseases such as celiac diseases have similar symptoms. Other common causes of foul-smelling gas and stools in children include giardia, a protozoan infection often present in unclean water that's passed through the fecal-oral route, and rotavirus, a virus that produces copious amounts of foul-smelling diarrhea. Children who have a bacterial infection in the intestine may produce foul-smelling gas, because bacteria in the intestine release sulfur-containing gases that can cause foul-smelling flatulence. Eating foods that produce excess gas, like beans and cabbage, also causes foul-smelling gas.

Pediatric2000 :

A sudden increase in foul-smelling gas may indicate a temporary problem that will resolve when the noxious substance exits the intestine, whether a food, bacteria or virus is to blame. Foul-smelling gas that persists or that occurs along with other symptoms requires prompt medical evaluation.

Pediatric2000 :

Do you Accept my thoughts on your granchilds condition?

Customer:

he went to doctor yesterday and they said they didnt

Pediatric2000 :

I have a feeling the Miralax and the diet you have mentioned will surely help

Pediatric2000 :

the fermentation and the work of the intestine flora on the food causes the smell

Pediatric2000 :

so you should observe after miralax and above diet

Customer:

how long for miralax to start working

Pediatric2000 :

it take 24 to 72 hours

Pediatric2000 :

it should be taken for maximum 7 days

Pediatric2000 :

half a cap each day

Customer:

thank you. could yeast overgrowth cause these symptoms

Pediatric2000 :

yes yeast overgrowth can also cause symptoms of foul smell , you need to send a sample of the stool to the lab for test to confirm this

Pediatric2000 :

however it can cause constipation with bouts of diarrhea and abdominal pain

Customer:

he cannot talk so it makes it very hard to understand what is going on with this sweet boy

Pediatric2000 :

ok

Pediatric2000 :

i can understand

Pediatric2000 :

its very difficult to judge symptoms too

Pediatric2000 :

so it would be best to wait for Miralax to work

Pediatric2000 :

and look out for the any new symptoms

Pediatric2000 :

Do you Accept my thoughts on your condition?

If you Agree with the Answer you can press the Green Accept Button below. You can also consider a feedback or a Bonus as a credit to my work . Let me know if you have any further questions. The Answers cannot replace the advice on clinical examination.

Customer:

o

Experience: Board Certified Physician with a Fellowship in Pediatric Dermatology