Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology
16877601

My son has one leg much larger than the other. This has been

My son has one leg much larger than the other. This has been this way for many years, but since he has started basketball two months ago, it is worse. He is Caucasian and eleven years old. His doctor recognizes that it is not normal but doesn't think anything is wrong. The doctor had my son go to children's mercy to make sure. Childrens only did a physical without any X-rays or medical or invasive tests. He hasn't been to a doctor for a year and every year his doctor says I need to bring it up to her in case she reads something new that might explain it. Since it has gotten large with sports activity, Im even more concerned. The size of one leg isn't quite double in size. More like one and a half times the size of the other. He has also had many tiny spider veins one both legs since he was a few years old. He also has a birthmark on one whole side of his abdomen and leg that is lighter in color than the other side of his body. It is most significant in appearance after he comes out of a hot shower. Do you have any possible explanation for his leg? What tests do you think he should have?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 4 years ago.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Hello, This condition is called hemihypertrophy where all or part of one side of the body is larger than the other. This is likely something with which your son was born. The telangectasias (spider veins) suggest that he has associated vascular (blood vessel) malformations. He needs an abdominal ultrasound first of all to make sure that none of his internal organs is also affected, as well as Doppler flow ultrasound of the blood vessels in the affected leg.

Customer: If this is his condition, should I worry about certain things throughout his life? Organ issues, blood flow, loss of limb? What should I expect as the years go by? Is there anything to reverse or stp this. Should he be in sports?
Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Concern later in life depends on what is found on further testing, eg is his liver normal in size and shape and blood flow. Would not worry about loss of limbs. There is nothing to reverse this. He can play sports.

Customer: If this is his condition, should I worry about certain things throughout his life? Organ issues, blood flow, loss of limb? What should I expect as the years go by? Is there anything to reverse or stp this. Should he be in sports?
Customer: If this is his condition, should I worry about certain things throughout his life? Organ issues, blood flow, loss of limb? What should I expect as the years go by? Is there anything to reverse or stp this. Should he be in sports?
Customer: If this is his condition, should I worry about certain things throughout his life? Organ issues, blood flow, loss of limb? What should I expect as the years go by? Is there anything to reverse or stp this. Should he be in sports?

Customer: If this is his condition, should I worry about certain things throughout his life? Organ issues, blood flow, loss of limb? What should I expect as the years go by? Is there anything to reverse or stp this. Should he be in sports?

Customer: If this is his condition, should I worry about certain things throughout his life? Organ issues, blood flow, loss of limb? What should I expect as the years go by? Is there anything to reverse or stp this. Should he be in sports?

Will
Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Hello?

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Please ACCEPT if I've answered your questions, and post back as much as needed. Best of luck,