Dr. Navitsky
Dr. Navitsky, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  US Pediatrician licensed in California living abroad.
60732142

Im 35 weeks pregnant. I smoked pot up yo 30 weeks. I only

I'm 35 weeks pregnant. I smoked pot up yo 30 weeks. I only took 1-2 puffs a few times a week. I eat healthy and drink lots of water. It allowed me to keep food down, not to get stoned. Will it show in meconium?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Navitsky replied 2 years ago.

Jnavits12 :

Hi there I can talk with you.

Jnavits12 :

So I obviously would strongly recommend that you do not smoke anymore through delivery (and afterwards :)!)

Jnavits12 :

The meconium is only tested when there is suspicion for drug use/abuse and is not routinely done otherwise. Does you OB know about the MJ use?

Jnavits12 :

Stopping at 30 weeks will make sure it doesn't show if urine drug testing were done but the meconium can show mj from the end of the 2nd trimester on which is approximately when you stopped so I would call it a draw...maybe....If the amount you smoked was as little as you say then not likely as it is on the long side of the time spectrum and the low side of potency.

Jnavits12 :

Do you use any other substances at all or have you in the past? Any other kids? I'm just asking as when the baby comes out most people are hit over the head with the stress/not sleeping/lack of support when it really comes down to it!! Thus I would be careful about how you cope with it. Having parents who don't use is a much better start for a child and will ensure the best possible situation for your child! I'l happy to chat about this just type in a response. Thanks!

Jnavits12 :

Hi I see I am the 3d opinion on this one...just out of curiosity what state do you live in which does the automatic testing? As this is costly it is not routinely done in most areas.....I agree with Dr German....that honesty is always the best policy and although the chance is small that it may come back positive I always feel that the truth is less harmful than not telling it....but it is your call! I personally would not be able to sleep worrying about this and you are uncomfortable enough as it is. The meconium builds up and is not excreted until it is which is why a test can show positive....thus the first opinion really wasn't totally accurate...they test the poop that the baby puts out even if it wasn't excreted while inside you into the amniotic fluid. If you admit to the use they will test...(mainly for other things just in case and you will have to see social services before the baby is discharged home to you....but this is done quickly and if you will provide a safe environment for your little one really all they do is look into it a bit)...it doesn't mean an automatic removal of custody at all...unless for example you came in intoxicated and tested positive for a bunch of other things!

Experience: US Pediatrician licensed in California living abroad.
I see you have accepted. Thanks I appreciate it! Feel free to respond on the same thread (at no additional charge that is) later on today or tomorrow or even in a few days as long as you can if you need to as I see that today has been a day of lots of worry on this subject!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Ironically, I'm currently going to school to do substance abuse counseling. I'm 38 yrs. old, my oldest is 21 and mt youngest is 14. I did some math and it was closer to 29 28 weeks when every couple days of smoking stopped. I was only to keep food and vits down. As soon as trim. 3 came i felt better so the need for mj stopped. If my dates are correct, can I assume that the likelyhood of a pos. meconium test should be neg? I understand that anything is possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

{Edit} I have never heard of meconium testing until now. When did this start? I am for it. I really think it's agreat idea,because substance abuse and pregnancy is no joke. What I did, with my other kids too, is frowned upon. However, I did extensive research on this matter. My other kids are great. Never any problems, behavioral or otherwise. I wasn't out to get "stoned".

I see your response on my phone. I'll be back to a stable internet connection in about an hour. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for taking the time to help me I know I'm starting to sound repetitve. I don't want s.s. and dyfs harrasing me when I give birth.
Hi there: my phone supposedly has internet access...but I often find it really unreliable! So to answer your question with the doses that you were taking and the amount of time that has passed you are really getting into an area where it is unlikely that the babies meconium will test positive for thc which is the metabolite they test for. I am assuming based on your second response that you may have used more during prior pregnancies? I'm glad that your kids didn't end up having issues but especially behavioral/learning issues are common depending on what substance is used. Many times people who go into substance abuse counseling for others have been there themselves as they tend to be quite effective in helping others thus I wish you the best in this. I am not here to judge at all!! and try to remain in most circumstances very objective. I totally understand your discomfort (more than you know being almost 32 weeks myself with #3) but for example would not ever consider using something like mj to alleviate my symptoms...I don't even use Tylenol but this is probably extreme. If someone has used in the past it is always a risk to fall back into old habits (especially when stressed!) so that is why I would be a bit worried about you. Social services and DCF really are not out to get you but to make sure your child is going home to a safe environment and will be cared for adequately. If you are going to provide such a place then you need not worry about them harrassing you as they have bigger fish to fry. I doubt the amount of mj that you were using has done any damage to your baby but as I said before I would rather as a pedi caring for your baby hear that you "told" about it but the testing was negative and social services cleared you for discharge rather than a "surprise" positive testing (although your chances are low!). But again this decision is yours to make. This site is totally anonymous by the way. Why don't you take a week or so and see how you feel....if it is really bothering you still then consider talking about it with someone at the OBs office that you trust.