Dr. Navitsky
Dr. Navitsky, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  US Pediatrician licensed in California living abroad.
60732142

Does meconium screening show everything baby ingested from

Does meconium screening show everything baby ingested from the second trimester or just the third?

Jnavits12 :

Hi there I can talk with you about this.

Jnavits12 :

Is there a specific substance you are interested in the screening for?

Jnavits12 :

Generally at least the third trimester is covered if there were a substance that was used and maybe late in the second trimester....this level of screening shows much more than the newborn's urine for example which is really the last week to 10 days.

Customer:

Norco & Percocet.

Jnavits12 :

Meconium itself starts to form early in the second trimester but what is secreted into it from exposure to the fetus depends on how much and when....

Customer:

I was prescribed both for sciatica & spinal degeneration but stopped the norco late in second trimester

Jnavits12 :

Percocet I am familiar with the Norco I am assuming is an opoid but I'm going to look it up on second. Why are you worried about the screening? Is there something wrong with the baby?

Jnavits12 :

The Norco is hydrocodone with Tylenol.

Customer:

No nothing wrong at all. I'm due in a few weeks and have been reading about withdrawal and was concerned. I haven't taken anything but tylenol in 6 weeks

Jnavits12 :

You should be fine. If you stopped using them late in second trimester. Remember that withdrawl needs to have pretty consistent exposure in order to happen. Make sure that your babies doctors know that you were using them however when the baby comes out. Usually we keep track of these things on the initial paperwork that is filled out when you start in labor.

Jnavits12 :

I would do your best to not use them from now forward. How is your sciatica?

Customer:

I, myself have never gone thru withdrawal so I figured the baby wouldn't either. I've also never taken them consistently, just as needed. My sciatica is terrible while pregnant

Customer:

It's tolerable normally but I use Aleve or Motrin which I know are off limits pregnant

Jnavits12 :

In addition it is always best to be upfront about whatever use you may have had so that they can look clearly at the baby and use this information to help the baby. Screening of the meconium for example is not routinely done unless there is substance abuse suspected or admitted to and they want to find out as much as they can about what the baby was exposed to. If you have used the above medicines as prescribed to you in a legitimate way you probably won't even have any screening done! I hear you on the sciatica part having been through the same multiple times with pregnancy and currently remember it will get much better when you deliver. The NSAIDs that usually work really well are "off limits" during pregnancy but you may find your OB allowing you once in a while a dose if you ask.

Jnavits12 :

Let me look up the NSAID thing as I don't remember...it is either worse earlier or later based on the kidney function...hold on a sec

Customer:

thanks

Jnavits12 :

It is worse in the third trimester to use them....(NSAIDs are drugs like ibuprofen or aleve) due to the kidney issues and also it can close the ductus which is a little blood vessel with a big role in the fetus too early...thus alas you have some 6 weeks to go

Jnavits12 :

Ask anyway at your next visit as one dose on a really bad day may be OK.

Jnavits12 :

Do you use any hot packs or bottles?

Customer:

I definitely will. I didn't want to keep taking different meds. Thank you so much for your help

Jnavits12 :

You are welcome I wish you a very quick and healthy delivery! If you feel that I have answered your question please click on the accept button. Good Luck!