Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician
Experience:  17 years in private practice in the U.S.

How long should my son wait to take Tylenol after ibuprofen?

How long should my son wait to take Tylenol after ibuprofen? The ibuprofen not helping with fever.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Ficus, MD replied 4 years ago.

Dr.FiscusMD :

I'll do my best to answer your question. If you're available for chat, let's get started. If not, I can switch to an e-mail format.

Dr.FiscusMD :

Since they are drugs that are in different classes most pediatricians are comfortable with them being dosed simultaneously. So long as ibuprofen is dosed 6hrs from ibuprofen and tylenol is dosed 4h fro tylenol, the two don't matter much to each other. If the ibuprofen isn't working and he hasn't had tylenol in at least 4hrs you could dose it now. Usually ibuprofen works a little better at getting fever down. If you would like to tell me how much he weighs I'd be happy to review your dosing with you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Weight 24 Ibs
His dose of ibuprofen should be 100mg (1 tsp of the children's preparation which should be 100mg/tsp)6h every . His dose of tylenol is 150mg (or just under 1 tsp of the children's preparation--it comes 160mg/tsp) every 4h.

If this information is helpful to you, please click "accept" to conclude this consultation. If not, please reply to this thread so I can be sure you are completely satisfied with my reply.