Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology

My child has random sores on her face, arms, and buttocks.

Customer Question

My child has random sores on her face, arms, and buttocks. They are round and irritated. If I put a band-aid over them and some antibiotic ointment, they heal in a day or so. I wonder what is causing the irritation. This started in the late fall.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 2 years ago.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Hello, Sorry for this issue. have you seen your child's pediatrician in-person for a culture of one of these? Any other symptoms: fever, pain, joint pain, weight loss? Any new soap / detergent anything when sores began?

Customer:

No, they seem to not exist until you notice her picking at a scab. My concern has come about mostly because my son had a spot on his face. Neither of them knows what it started as. She is 6 and he is 8. The school nurse and I looked at some spots on her arms. There like 3 or 4 up and down the arm. There have been no other symptoms and no soap or detergent. I thought it could be some kind of insect but am very uncertain as to what it is and how to stop it.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

This is most likely methicillin-resistant Staph aureus (MRSA for short). This is a germ more and more prevalent in the environment (schools, hospitals, workplaces), transmitted by direct contact. Your child should be seen by her/his pediatrician tomorrow to culture one of the sores and prescribe an appropriate oral antibiotic.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Assiduous good handwashing, wash all linens at home, and limit skin to skin contact. NO CONTACT with any immunocompromised person.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Please take your child in ASAP. Best,

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Please ACCEPT if I've answered the first of your questions, and post further as much as needed, Thank You,

Customer:

The bacteria itself causes the sores or is there a fundamental cause like dry skin or some other irritation where it enters.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

This is a bacterial infection which if not treated can spread.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

The bacteria cause the sores.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Topical ointments are insufficient as they do not contain an appropriate medication for MRSA.

Customer:

Ok, I am not sure that I agree because the msra pictures are mostly puss-filled and neither child has that level of infection. Actually it doesn't really seem infected at all. They are scabbed over circular sores that look like bites but with it being late fall/early winter, I am still uncertain as to the cause. And as I said initially, the spots are healed in a day when treated with neosporin or comparable product.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

You can agree or not. I cannot examine your child's sores in person. I MOST STRONGLY recommend that you take your child for in-erson medical attention to these sores ASAP. That's my best advice , and wish you and your family all best. FYI I see 10-12 of these DAILY.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

All Best,

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

SEE YOUR PEDIATRICIAN ,

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Thanks

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Please ACCEPT if I've answered your questions , such that I receive 30% of what you pay to this site,

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Please post as many F/U questions as needed,

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

All Best,

Customer:

Thank you for the information. I have no other significant options, and I would rather be safe than sorry. I will take her in to urgent care or something tomorrow. It just seems that there are no mild examples to compare to when these types of skin issues come up. You see examples that don't resemble what you are seeing. Yet, I realize that oftentimes the worst-case scenario is posted and the initial stages of the "infection" are what you probably see in clinic.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

exactly right!! Please ACCEPT if I've answered your questions and post back later with any more questions as needed. Best,

Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience: Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology