Dr. Navitsky
Dr. Navitsky, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  US Pediatrician licensed in California living abroad.
60732142

ALBUTEROL SULFATE IN PLASTIC VIAL NEVER BEEN OPENED HOW LONG AFTER EXPIRATION DATE CAN YO

ALBUTEROL SULFATE IN PLASTIC VIAL NEVER BEEN OPENED HOW LONG AFTER EXPIRATION DATE CAN YOU OPEN AND USE IT ON THE BREATHING MACHINE ALSO THE PRO AIR INHALER(ALBUTEROL SULFATE) HOW LONG AFTER THE EXPIRED DATE CAN YOU USE IT FOR CHILD 9 AND 12
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Navitsky replied 2 years ago.

Jnavits12 :

Hi there I can talk with you about this

Jnavits12 :

I would not use either after the expiration date is the official and medically correct answer. Now if your child is is dire need of albuterol and you can't wait for a refill and need to use it like now ...

Jnavits12 :

If this is the situation then I have the following recommendation

Jnavits12 :

The albuterol vials that go into the machine rapidly decompose if the outer box has been opened for a while (even a few months) so I would not use these any after their expiration date as the medicine may not work.

Jnavits12 :

The inhaler is not affected by light in the same way and I would expect the medicine to retain its potency inside the canister even after the expiration date. If you were in a huge pinch you may try it as long as it is not expired by too long. When is the date?

Customer:

07/31/11

Jnavits12 :

So this is a few months.....the correct answer is throw it in a pharmacy disposal bin. If it is an emergency situation I don't see anything horrible wrong with using it on your way to the doctor as the alternative would be not breathing well.....and then get the medicine refilled with one that is not expired.

Jnavits12 :

Do you kids need it just because they are sick and have a nasty cough or is one of them really having difficulty breathing?

Customer:

cough

Jnavits12 :

So if this is the case I would call the pharmacy and ask for a refill even if the prescription is expired then the pharmacy can either get an emergency refill (sometimes done with albuterol or other chronic meds...) or call the doctor's office for authorization. This way you are not worried about using expired meds.

Experience: US Pediatrician licensed in California living abroad.