Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D. , Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology
16877601

My 10 year old boy complained of a pain in his left side of

Customer Question

My 10 year old boy complained of a pain in his left side of his stomach below the rib cage, he layed down and it felt better, when he got up to do his homework, it started to hurt again and now his back hurts in the same spot. I'm not sure what is wrong and what to do for him.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 4 years ago.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Hello, How bad is the pain? Is this new for him? Does the pain move around? Worse with taking a deep breath? Did the meds help?

Customer:

Hi, on a scale he said it was a 5-6. This is new, he sometimes has stomack aches but I just tell him he needs to use the bathroom but he already has. The pain is in one spot front in the stomach and the back some spot. He said it does not hurt when taking a deep breath. The meds did not help.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Thanks. If pain persists for 3-4 hours or gets worse, I'd take him to be evaluated in person. It is likely from gas, "heartburn" from something he ate, or relative constipation. Would avoid motrin or other NSAID since that can irritate the stomach.

Customer:

He said that he feels good when laying down but hurts real back when sitting or standing up now. Should I see if he needs to use the bathroom again?

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Yes. Again, if pain gets worse he should be seen in ER or his pediatrician's office.

Customer:

Ok thank you