Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Is it common for a 2 year old to be prescribed prednisolone

Customer Question

Is it common for a 2 year old to be prescribed prednisolone 15mg/5ml (dose 3 ml once a day for 5 days) for croup. My son weights 26.5lbs and I am worried about the steroid and if this not a good thing for him to take. He has the barking cough and stridor. If this stops the awful noises and makes him more comfortable I am all for it. I am just nervous since this little guy just had pnuemonia 4 weeks ago that landed him in the hospital. He recovered from that just fine just to get hit with croup at day care.

My son developed symptoms 1 day ago. He also just finished augmenten for an unrelated infected toe which is now healing fine. I am worried about all the meds he has been on (i.e. antibiotics for puenomia 1 month ago and an infected toe 10 days ago).

Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 4 years ago.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Hello, The typical treatment for croup is 0.6 mg/kg body weight of decadron as a one time dose. I've seen more resistant / recurrent croup the past 2 seasons for which a number of kids need another dose the next day or day after first. Not typically given for five days.

Customer:

so I am now curious as to why this is so different. would you reccomend getting another doc to look at him before starting this med

Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 4 years ago.
I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you. Working in pediatric urgent care as I do I can tell you that I see many children who have a history of recurrent croup and I often give them oral prednisolone to take for a few days, especially when they have a history of several days of croup in the past. The oral route for steroids is every bit as effective as the injection, with less pain obviously, so we rarely give a shot anymore, as that just makes the child more upset and croupy.

Lots of studies have looked at short term courses of steroids for various conditions, such as asthma, allergic reactions, etc and shown that even course up to a week or more don't have any lasting effect on patients or cause problems other than the usual effect on behavior some get (hyper, restless, can't sleep, etc.) Croup is generally caused by the parainfluenza virus (not related to influenza) and while scary is not very dangerous at all as the airway is only narrowed and not at much risk to completely close off. For that reason I sometimes don't give a steroid at all if the parent has any apprehension about it and just advise a cool mist humidifier, fluids, fever control, and TIME.

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.