Raymond B., M.D.
Raymond B., M.D., Doctor
Experience:  I provide medical care for newborns, children, adolescents and young adults up to age 21 years.

we start to gave her Dimetapp for Cough and Cold and Saline Nasal

Dear Doctor,
My daughter is 2 years and 7 months.
she catch a cold from 4 days ago.
we start to gave her Dimetapp for Cough and Cold and Saline Nasal for Kids.
she's so active. she don't have fever. the symptoms that she have right now are running nose and cough at midnight. the cough is not cheesty with greenish color but it cause to cough up one time at midnight.

the running nose also turn to greenish but no cough during day time and no fever.
please let me what we should do?
should we run for visit a Pediatrics? or she will be better.

cheers,
Saeid
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Raymond B., M.D. replied 2 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER n9qayugw: If the child is not having a fever and no throwing up or diarrhea, I would recommend that you continue to give supportive care for her symtpoms with the Dimetapp for age or Children's Benadryl 1/4 tsp every 6 to 8 hours if she is not allergic to benadryl. Make sure she is eating well balanced meals daily with less milk since the milk and dairy products will tend to prolong the thinning of the mucous of the cold and will take longer to get rid of it or for it to run its course. Plenty of water by mouth and juices during the daytime which contain Vit C, but not too much juice to actually cause her to have diarrheal stools. Water is better. Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And what about her cough up (start to cough till vomit) at midnight? the only matter which make us worry is that she start to cough until she vomit.

and she have a little bit bleary if I'm correct.

should we increase dosage of use stronger medicine.

Dear Saeid: Please continue the same dosage of medicine and do not increase it since she is only 2 years old. But also follow the instructions I recommended in my previous entry to you and the cold should run it's course. The phelgm coming up may be colored as such due to drainage from the child's sinuses, if she develops a fever, then you should seek medical prescription for an antibiotic as needed from her regular pediatrician. Note: often some coughs are intense enough to cause a child to vomit from the forceful cough, but make sure she is not getting any milk close to bedtime.
Raymond B., M.D., Doctor
Experience: I provide medical care for newborns, children, adolescents and young adults up to age 21 years.