Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta , Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

Im having trouble with my 10 year old son pooping in his pants.

Customer Question

I'm having trouble with my 10 year old son pooping in his pants. He said that he just can't wipe himself well, but it is definately more than that. We have resorted to me wiping his behind 3 to 4 times a day. I had to shower him last night and then this morning he was completely dirty again and I had to shower him again. He is red and sore, which I tried to explain is because of the bowel movement. I've placed wipes in all of our bathrooms. I tell him to ask me for help when he's ready to wipe. I've received calls from his teacher saying he smells. I know I send him to school clean but by lunch time, I'm getting calls from the nurse to come in and change him. He is a very smart boy but I don't understand what is going on. He has ADHD and has been medicated for 2 years now. Should I look for a physcologist?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 4 years ago.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

I am sorry to hear about your son's problems

PediatricMD :

This is quite clearly a case requiring the assistance of a psychologist

PediatricMD :

Since the child is quite intentionally (likely) holding his stools

PediatricMD :

The primary reason for this is to gain attention

PediatricMD :

but the underlying cause for the same requires the help of a psychologist - preferably a pediatric psychologist

PediatricMD :

I do not believe that his explanation of not being able to wipe himself is the primary problem here

PediatricMD :

Is he otherwise constipated too ?

Customer:

I don't believe that he is constipated. There is constantly bowel in his pants. I just cleaned him before school and I can almost certainly believe he is soiled again. I spend my day just waiting for a call from the school.

PediatricMD :

I understand

PediatricMD :

And that is why I agree with your assessment that this appears a psychological problem that needs counseling

PediatricMD :

Ask your pediatrician for an appropriate referral

PediatricMD :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with ?

Customer:

No thanks, XXXXX XXXXX confirmed my feelings. I was trying to deal with this at home to lessen the humiliation but I undersand that it is bigger than what I can do.

PediatricMD :

Completely true

PediatricMD :

It is bigger than something that you can handle alone

PediatricMD :

But the good news is that this is quite a well known medical issue

PediatricMD :

and definitely treatable

PediatricMD :

Read more about other people's experience with similar problems here

Customer:

Thank you.

PediatricMD :

All the best, XXXXX XXXXX remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button

PediatricMD :

:)