Raymond B., M.D.
Raymond B., M.D., Doctor
Experience:  I provide medical care for newborns, children, adolescents and young adults up to age 21 years.
1295807

my 9 year old daughter is masturbating in the sitting room

my 9 year old daughter is masturbating in the sitting room when she is alone. I have explained to her it is only to be done in private. She does stop when anyone walks in but it is obvious what she is doing. What should I do
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Raymond B., M.D. replied 5 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER kphp6mqs: Continue doing what you have already have been doing making sure that you keep the discussion private with her between you as parent and with her without discussing the same outside of the family to cause embarassment and to cause her to be more secretive because of her getting older towards pre-pubertal years when adolescents usually keep to themselves more, thus avoiding being open and candid with their parents.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thank you very much for your reply. I am very worried that it might escalate to her

masturbating in school when she returns after the holidays next week. I think it is happening more and more in recent weeks. Is this really abnormal behaviour ? I have

another daughter almost 16 and never had anything like this. I don't think im getting

thru to my 9 year old when i tell her its something only for her bed. Could it be a

compulsion that she can't control. I am very upset and traumatised myself at this

stage.

Dear JACUSTOMER kphp6mqs: The behavior is considered by the American Academy of Pediatrics as being normal for certain age groups and they recommend that parents do as you have already done in regards XXXXX XXXXX with the child of the behavior needing to be private. But as parent if you observe that the behavior is becoming more frequent and seems to be controlling the child or more simply put, dominating the child's activities and time, then you at that time may need to consult professionals in child behavior who specialize in helping the child to modify this undesirable behavior when out of control.

For more information via American Academy of Pediatrics, see link below:

Reference: http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/teen/dating-sex/pages/Masturbation.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR%3a+No+local+token

Raymond B., M.D., Doctor
Experience: I provide medical care for newborns, children, adolescents and young adults up to age 21 years.