Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My one year old has had yellow mucus running from her nose

My one year old has had yellow mucus running from her nose for 2 1/2 weeks now but no fever. She also coughs a lot but her grandma is a nurse and says her lungs are clear. She gave whatever she has to my Mom, who went in to the doctors and was diagnosed with upper respiratory infection and was put on antibiotics. Should I take her to Doctor and ask for antibiotics?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 5 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you. With this going on now for over 2 weeks it is very likely that she has a sinus infection and needs to be seen by her doctor. A common cold may last 10-14 days but she should be over it by now so what began perhaps as a cold (virus) is now a bacterial infection and should be treated with an antibiotic sufficiently strong enough to get into the sinuses, such as Augmentin or Omnicef.

Dr. A. Clark :

I disagree with her pediatrician that a fever is necessary to call it a treatable infection and they should know that! Many infections may present without fever: strep, sinusitis, otitis media and even pneumonia occasionally. Take her in anyway or to an urgent care center to be examined and treated.

Customer:

Thank you! How can i print this out?

Dr. A. Clark :

You should be able to print out the page you are on from the file meme but if not just select the entire text of the conversation and copy it, then paste it in your word processor for printing.

Dr. A. Clark :

Sorry, autocorrect change menu to meme!

Customer:

thank you again!

Dr. A. Clark :

In defense of your pediatrician sometimes the receptionist or nurse taking the call makes the decision to tell you not to come in to lighten the load for them and the doctor.

Dr. A. Clark :

Even after you hopefully accept my answer you may still return with further questions later at no additional charge.