Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology

My daughter is 16 now and her breasts will not stop growing.

Customer Question

My daughter is 16 now and her breasts will not stop growing. Right now she squeezes into a 36 DDD but complains the bra is too small. At the age of 13 she had Chronic Gall bladder disease and had it removed, she was barely into an A cup at that time. All tests at that time done on her thyroid came back negative but now I have to wonder. I would like to call her doctor to have her tested but for what? She is miserable and the jokes she deals with on a daily basis at school just break my heart. I would love to get her a breast reduction surgery but the plastic surgeons in this area no longer bill your insurance company and without testing I don't think my insurance will cover such a procedure out of the blue.
A little background, my daughter's grandmother on her father's side has had thyroid issues and eventually had it removed. She also suffers from Graves disease. My first cousin had the same issue when she was about my daughters age and she ended up with a cancerous thyroid which was removed when she was 21. Please help me to help my daughter. Thank you.

Rachel Bassett
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 2 years ago.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Hello, I empathize. I do not think this is a thyroid issue nor related to previous GB issues. Have you taken your and your daughter's concerns to her pediatrician and what if any tests done?

Customer :

not recently as I was not concerned until she became concerned and started calling family. I was hoping to try and narrow down the testing as she now calls all nurses "vampires" from all the blood they seem to want to draw every time she sees the doctor.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

OK, so what tests done please and results?

Customer :

Most were for allergies as she was still suffering horrible stomache pains after the results. She tested negative for celiac disease and the only foods she is NOT allergic to are tomatoes, green beans, almonds, chocolate, and black pepper. As for other tests, I cannot remember without looking at her medical records which are currently locked in a fire box in the shed. She was tested for all flus, mostly H1N1, mononucleosis, and others in the recent past but the only positive results were for double pneumonia and a severe bladder infection ( not at the same time). We are currently looking for a reliable dr. as the one she had that we both loved and trusted had died unexpectedly. Its hard finding a good dr. these days. expample, she was soooo sick and the ped. we were seeing for the first time, never listened to her lungs or checked inside her throat, intead ordered lab work for mono and numerous different flus. all were negative. Three days later she is unable to breathe due to double pneumonia.

Customer :

She also had liver tests done as her liver bed was bleeding internally during the whole gall bladder incident, but all those came back negative

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

OK, so she may need thyroid and other hormone (adrenal and gonadal hormones) checked just to make sure. I do not think this is an endocrine problem but that is the specialist she needs to see. Do you live in / near a major center where she can see an endocrinologist?

Customer :

I am not sure but I am willing to drive to phoenix if need be. Is there certain tests I should ask for? I hate putting her through useless tests.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

I would not get tests until you discuss with an endocrinologist to see whether s/he thinks anything may be helpful. I think this is just her anatomy. Maybe seeing an endocrinologist will give you "ammunition" to fight the insurance co for breast reduction if that is her choice. Best of luck,

Customer :

thank you

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

you are welcome. please hit Accept if you are satisfied with answers so far and can post back any more questions later. Good luck,