Dr. Moscatel
Dr. Moscatel , Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Double Board Certified: Internal Medicine & Pediatrics, Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics
20031379

my 11 year old son is complaining of pain in his testicles

my 11 year old son is complaining of pain in his testicles it is not enough to keep him from playing outside but i can tell he is uncomfortable i made a appointment with his doctor for wensday i was hoping you could explain what she will be doing im pretty sure he hasnt been examined there before and im a single mom so this is out of my area of expertise thanks
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Moscatel replied 5 years ago.
Hi there- the doctor will examine his testicles manually, by feeling for any lumps or disruption of shape. She will ask if it hurts when examining. She will ask if it hurts when he urinates. She will likely also look for a possible hernia during the exam, and she will likely take a urine sample to make sure it is not a urine infection, though this usually does not necessarily cause testicular pain. She will order an ultrasound of his testicles as well. Sometimes, the testicle can torse, or twist on its stalk, and then untwist, and this could be the cause of his discomfort. If there is anything she feels is abnormal, she will refer you to a pediatric urologist. I hope this helps.