Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

My son 6 years old has had a low temperature of 96.0 for 6

My son 6 years old has had a low temperature of 96.0 for 6 hours and have been more tired than usual. He was in doctor 3 days ago and doctor says he has viral tonselidis. he has had fever for last few days and we kept it down with tylenol and motrin. My wife thinks she has given him motrin twice in a row within 2 hours period instead of motrin and tylenol.
He has been sweating alot while he has had low temperature.
I am worried that he has low temperature.
Please tell me if I should be worried if this temperature stays down for long and how long.
and do you think it might be from motrin or it is normal.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 years ago.
Greetings,

When the last dose of motrin and Tylenol were given? What measures have you taken? Where have you checked the temperature? Is there any other symptom? Is he on any other medication? Is there any significant past illness?

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
His doctor has checked him 3 days ago and he saw his tonsils since he had 102.5 fever the day before.
He said he has viral tonsilitis. He said all we have to do is give him motrin and tylenol for few days to keep his temp down, until he gets better.
We have been giving him tylenol and motrin each one every 6 hours. Last time we gave him motrin at 1 pm o'clock and then again at 2:30 pm by mistake. 3 hours later his temperature we checked was 96.5 and then we checked again and went up to 97.5 and then low again and last time I have checked it was about 30 min ago was 96.2.
he is not taking any other medication. He says he is feeling a little sick but he doesn't have any pain or problem any where else. He has eaten ok and been drinking water enough.
I have ear checking thermometer. and it shows it quickly.
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

Temperature below 95 degrees is called hypothermia & is considered an emergency. Besides medicine the other causes can be infection. The room environment can be kept warm. Hot water bag wrapped in clothes can be kept under his bed. Cover him with blanket. Warm drinks can be given. If the temperature does not increase, infection should be ruled out. I would advise to take him to ER then for evaluation and management.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.