Raymond B., M.D.
Raymond B., M.D., Doctor
Experience:  I provide medical care for newborns, children, adolescents and young adults up to age 21 years.
1295807

My baby ate cat poop can he get sick What should I look f

Customer Question

My baby ate cat poop can he get sick? What should I look for?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Raymond B., M.D. replied 5 years ago.

Toxoplasmosis is a disease caused by a single-celled parasite called Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii). Toxoplasmosis is one of the most common parasitic diseases and has been found in nearly all warm-blooded animals, including pets and humans. Despite the high prevalence of T. gondii infection, the parasite rarely causes significant clinical disease in cats-or any species. The life cycle of Toxoplasma gondii is complex and involves two types of host-definitive and intermediate. Cats, both wild and domestic, are the only definitive hosts for Toxoplasma gondii. This means that the parasite can only produce oocysts (eggs) when infecting a cat. When a cat ingests an infected prey (or other infected raw meat) the parasite is released into the cat's digestive tract. The organisms then multiply in the wall of the small intestine and produce oocysts during what is known as the intraintestinal infection cycle. These oocysts are then excreted in great numbers in the cat's feces.

Please start looking for low-grade fever, fatigue and flu-like symptoms and report any of these to your child's pediatrician as soon as possible.

Most healthy individuals who contract toxoplasmosis do not require treatment, because the healthy immune system is able to control the disease. Symptoms are not usually present. Mild symptoms may be relieved by taking over-the-counter medications, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil).

Read more: Toxoplasmosis - symptoms, Definition, Description, Demographics, Causes and symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment http://www.healthofchildren.com/T/Toxoplasmosis.html#ixzz1LEuGL3c8