Raymond B., M.D.
Raymond B., M.D., Doctor
Experience:  I provide medical care for newborns, children, adolescents and young adults up to age 21 years.
1295807

Our baby has a severely deformed palate due to being intubated

Customer Question

Our baby has a severely deformed palate due to being intubated for her first four weeks in the NICU. She is now five years old, is there a procedure which could reform the palate and thus enable her to swallow. She has to be suctioned constantly because of dysphagia
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Raymond B., M.D. replied 5 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER 40kj52r9: Yes something can be done to help:

Most clefts can be repaired through specialized plastic surgery techniques, improving your child's ability to eat, speak, hear and breathe, and to restore a more normal appearance and function.

A team of specialists can help

Early intervention by a team of specialists to evaluate your child is essential in cleft lip and/or cleft palate repair. The team can work together to de?ne a course of treatment, including surgical repair of the cleft, speech rehabilitation and dental restoration. These specialists may include a:

• Plastic surgeon
  • Pediatrician
  • Pediatric dentist
  • Otolaryngologist (ear, nose, and throat specialist)
  • Auditory or hearing specialist
  • Speech pathologist
  • Genetic counselor
  • Social worker

Go to link website and insert your zipcode and find a plastic surgeon near you:

Link: http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Reconstructive-Procedures/Cleft-Lip-and-Palate.html

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Our child does not have a cleft palate! Her palate is narrow because she was intubated without a palate spreader. We were hoping that some kind od pain free device could be used to spread her palate without surgery. She suffers from seizures and her neurologist does not think she can undergo surgery

Dear JACUSTOMER 40kj52r9: Thanks for the additional information which does change my thoughts concerning what you are looking for. Are the seizures controlled? I would still advise you to ask your child's pediatrician to put in touch with a pediatric oral surgeon if you don't already have one regarding a pediatric device for expanding her palate without surgery like the adult device which is the Homeoblock.

For more information, you may want to contact Dr. Belfor,DDS via his website:

Facial Development, is absolutely fascinating. It's authored by Theodore R. Belfor, DDS, who has a clinic in New York state that actually specializes in expanding adult palates using a dental appliance called a Homeoblock. From his website:

The HomeoblockTM appliance is a revolutionary patented oral device that is much like a retainer in looks, but the results go way beyond teeth straightening...The HomeoblockTM appliance works with the body, so that physiological changes occur naturally; developing the bones of the face and resulting in the strengthening of facial muscles.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You have told me nothing that I did not already know. I was hoping for specific information re PEDIATRIC palate spreader.
Please have my deposit credited back to my credit card.
Dear JACUSTOMER 40kj52r9: Very sorry that you already knew about the information given, but there was no way of knowing you knew this since you did not mention that you already knew about the Homeoblock by Dr. Belfor. The information by Dr. Belfor was given to you only because I gathered from reading your presented question as a concerned parent that you wanted any information regarding a device which may help. It was given to you too because Dr. Belfor may know of a pediatric palate spreader available. Sorry again that the information did not meet your satisfaction! Hope you find soon what you need for your baby!