Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah , Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  9 years of practice in Pediatrics
20280540

My 6 year old girl is having stomach cramps. There is some

My 6 year old girl is having stomach cramps. There is some loose stools but not outright diarrhea. She then feels better after she deficates. This has been paroxysmal over the past 2 to 3days. She has a normal temp, urinating fine, no diabetes or recent travel.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Leah :

Hello and thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is ill. It sounds like she has a mild case of gastroenteritis. This is usually caused by a virus such as Rotavirus (in season now) or Norwalk virus. Most cases present with vomiting and or diarrhea. Symptoms typically resolve within 2 to 5 days depending on the severity of symptoms.

Dr. Leah :

The most important thing is making sure she stays well hydrated. I would encourage her to drink fluids that have some electrolytes such as Gatorade or clear soda such as 7-up or Sprite. If she is interested in eating, she will feel better the more she eats. It sometimes helps to avoid dairy or lactose containing foods until the symptoms resolve.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX what I suspect. I am a CCRN but I am limited when it comes to treating kids.

Dr. Leah :

No problem. Hopefully she will feel better in a few days. If by some chance your daughter still has loose stools after 7 days, she should see her pediatrician and have some stool testing done.

Customer:

Will do, appreciate the consult Doc! This is a great tool. Thanks again, it is reassuring to hear from an expert.

Dr. Leah :

Your very welcome!