Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.

I have 6 week old, who is having trouble with his breathing.

I have 6 week old, who is having trouble with his breathing. He now is not finishing his bottle's. We did take him to his Dr. and they claim that his congestion is in his throat. What else could this be, we are getting very worried?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 years ago.

How long the symptoms are there? Is there any other symptom? What is the respiration rate? Is there any chest indrawing? Was any test done? Is there any significant birth history?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He always seemed to have had a little trouble with breathing sence birth, but now its gotton allot louder. Other symptons- not drinking full bottle. Not sure what his respiration rate is. No chest indrawing. They did no other tests. No birth history.

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

The increased breathing rate & inability to finish the feed suggest breathing difficulty. This can be due to secretions in the, nose, throat or there can be congestion in the chest. But when he is having difficulty in feeding even with nebulization, he needs a review by doctor. There can an infection too. If you can not contact his doctor then you can take him to ER.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Would giving him another neb. treatment be something we should be doing on a regular time schedule? And we did take him to ER last week, and they said his lungs sound clear. Do we need to see a ears, nose and throat expert?

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 years ago.
Saline nebulisation can be given frequently. As you say that he is not taking feed properly, it is safer to be examined by doctor gain. First he should be examined by the pediatrician. Then if it is needed, an ENT expert can be consulted.