Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.

My 8.5 month old baby girl is up all night arching her back

My 8.5 month old baby girl is up all night arching her back and crying. I gather she has gas / wind but after I burp her a few times, she stops crying and I settle her back down - but she still wakes up 1-2 hours later needing to burp. Could this have something to do with the cows milk formula I am giving her?

It is better to avoid cow milk formula before 1 year. It can cause allergy. You can change it and check whether it helps. Excessive burping can be from gastroesophageal reflux. Reflux or acid peptic disease can occur in children like adult. H.pylori infection may be there too. Head end of the bed can be high up to prevent reflux. smaller, more frequent feed, can help keep reflux under control. In infant also the treatment plan is almost same as adult like omeprazole, ranitidine etc. but it should be diagnosed before using any medicine. She may need treatment for reflux. If the symptoms continue, an examination by doctor can be considered.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.