Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 3 1/2 year old grandson was just diagnosed with nevus sebaceous.

My 3 1/2 year old grandson was just diagnosed with nevus sebaceous. This diagnosis was done by a plastic surgeon who just looked at it and told my daughter what it was. Should he be seen by a pediatric dermatologist? Are there specific tests that should be done? The area covered is from his wrist, up his arm and around his shoulder.
Hello, Generally these extensive lesions can not be surgically treated. For certainty, a pediatric dermatologist may be consulted and a biopsy taken from the lesion for final pathological diagnosis.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The plastic surgeon said that it would have to be removed surgically as it would definitely turn into cancer at some future point. He said there would have to be several surgeries to remove it..Naturally, we wouldn't want to put a child through several surgeries if there are other options, thus are seeking advice now on what to do next, i.e., a second opinion from someone. That is why we are asking if a consultation would be helpful with a pediatric dermatologist. The surgeon did say that there was no urgency to have the surgeries, so we feel we have an opportunity to research alternatives. I did question why the plastic surgeon didn't suggest taking a biopsy. I wasn't present at the consultation and know that when my daughter and son-in-law heard the word 'cancer' they were frightened and couldn't think to ask these questions. I am trying to help all I can by doing research....just point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Skin lesions like nevus (mole) of any type can turn cancerous very late in life. These are very easy to observe day to day and one need not be rushing to surgery in childhood. Only after puberty would the abnormalities stabilize and skin layers would develop fully. These should generally be protected from sun rays. most dermatologists recommend sebaceous naevi be excised when the patient is a teenager or in early adult life.

Please visit link : http://www.dermnetnz.org/lesions/sebaceous-naevus.html

Outlook is good if there are no associated eye, skeletal or brain problems.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much. Mary
You are welcome. Good luck to him.