Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology
16877601

my 5 year old grandson has had diarrhea for 4 days now;no other

my 5 year old grandson has had diarrhea for 4 days now;no other symptoms. we have given him kaopectate at 4:30/1 tablet. he has had 2 totally watery bowel movements since that time so we followed the label instructions and gave him 1/2 tablet and are to give him the other half at next bm. we've read that white grape juice is good to give him. I really don't know what else to do. he is active and seems to be feeling fine. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. barbara
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 5 years ago.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Hello, I am sorry your grandson is ill. I do not recommend giving kaopectate to children. He needs to be evaluated by his pediatrician for possible dehydration and his stool tested for possible infectious causes of the diarrhea, some of which require therapy. In the meantime, he should be given pedialyte to drink.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Diluted sport drink also fine. Would limit milk and juices.