Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My son has cold and fever. His eyes are burning. Help!

My son has a cold, fever and says his eyes are burning. Cold wash clothes make the eyes feel better. It's only the eye discomfort I am worried about.

Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 5 years ago.

Hello

With the other symptoms (cold, fever) and his eyes hurting I would be concerned about the flu as those are the symptoms we usually see in kids. I would just give him tylenol or motrin for tonight but take him in somewhere tomorrow to be check out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** burning is fairly common and related to the flu most likely?

Yes, whereas itching is more likely just allergies. The issue really is the fever and cold symptoms plus the eyes, so I always do a flu test with that combination of symptoms. The important thing about detecting the flu early is that treatment must begin in the first 48 hours to really help him get over it sooner.