Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp

My 2 year old daughter is having dizzy spells. This has been

My 2 year old daughter is having dizzy spells.
This has been happening over the last 4 months.
The dizziness lasts for 20-30 seconds. She is conscious and (although very upset and frightened) she can talk to me, maintain eye contact, and explain to me how "the room is spinning mummy".
It is sometimes 2-3 weeks between the spells.
Otherwise she is a normal, healthy girl.
She has no headaches, vomiting or sickness. Her co-ordination (fine and gross) is developing well. Also her speech and language development is on track.
Our GP and ped. are all a little baffled.
Any ideas???
This symptom of vertigo, mostly occurs due to internal ear stimulation (cause unknown) but an ENT appraisal is required, with some tests (reflexes related to vestibule of ear, with use of cold and hot water in ear canal.
Some prescription drugs are available but only if such occurrence is several times daily and more bothersome.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thankyou Dr. Vasavada.

Both our GP and Ped. doctors have looked in and around her ears and eyes extensively (all looks good and normal).

Can an ENT do more than that? (I don't know enough about these specialist areas?)

Wouldn't there be some redness or irratibility that our GP would have seen?

Vertigo is induced inside the internal ear, which can not be detected from external examinations.
An ENT doctor, or a pediatric neurologist (who will interpret EEG) can test this vestibular function.