Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 9 yr old daughter has a lump in her right breast. She has

My 9 yr old daughter has a lump in her right breast. She has been complaining about it hurting for a couple of months. As time passes, it seems to be getting bigger and the pain is more severe also. Her doctor first said it was just a breast bud, but then recently sent her for an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a 3x5x8 cm mass on right breast. The doctor said she feels like it is still just a breast bud. Do you think I should get a second opinion? The doctor also informed us to continue taking anywhere from 2 to 4 ibuphrophen tablets each day for pain and wear a sports bra. How long do I wait until I start seeing a change?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 5 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you. I agree with her doctor, as disturbing as this usually is for mothers and dads of preteen girls! It is normal for breast tissue to develop as the very first sign of puberty, usually right under the nipple and usually on one side only for a few months. This can be pretty sore at times as the tissue develops but often that is the only thing that happens for a while, with pubic hair to follow, but thankfully at least 18-24 months for her first period. You need not do any further tests or exams and just let her doctor follow it as long as there is no redness or discharge from the nipple.