Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My daughter has a rash that comes and goes. at first we thought

My daughter has a rash that comes and goes. at first we thought it may be ezcma and went through a huge elimination process, but then after 8 weeks we noticed that the rash disappeared and only reappeared when she rubbed the area, IE the knees, elbows and back of head and even the vagina area has little red spots that formed close together to look like a rash, I can provide pictures of you require. so even though she was clothed if we put her on the ground whether it was carpeted or not we would notice that the areas would become inflamed and afterwards would irritate her. i done further research and would appear to not be ezcma maybe but maybe scabbies, I have a non itchy rash all down my legs that I thought was heat rash and I often feel like a am being bitten. Could it be scabbies? or another type of mite related issue? if so what do I need to do?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Hello, The problem may be due to fleas and carpets and flooring may be treated, or vacuumed daily. Other issue could be when the skin is irritated by scratching, hives also known as urticaria, are very common.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

It is not considered a serious medical condition. If she is above 2 years, you could use benadryl.

Customer:

it is not fleas as I am aware of fleas and we do not have a pet and there has been no vision of fleas seen. We vacum the carpets 3 times a week, and she is never put down directly onto the carpet , we place baby mats on the floor and have her skin clothed. the redness appears when she has rubbed the area usually rubbed through crawling, sometimes rubbed through her rubbing her ankles on a smooth surface, we have been informed by a doctor here in australia when we though it was eczma that Benadryl is not possible as she is too young

Customer:

the other reason why i thought scabbies is the other week she had pimples on the soles of her feet and I didnt put the two together and apparently scabbies has that

Customer:

i have also googled urticaria and the images do not look like her rash

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Yes, if the rash is in palms and in between fingers, it could be scabies and all members of family should be treated by nightly application of lindane

Customer:

her hands do become red when she is crawling but between the fingers seem fine. do i need a prescription for scabbies treatment

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

No but avoid face and protect eyes. Once or twice a week application to be made and clothes should be boiled or dried in bright sun.

Customer:

what about the carpets do i need to do something there

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

The pediculosis and scabies mites do not survive in carpets. Once cured, re-treatment is taken once a fortnight.

Customer:

lastly and thank for your time, I have noticed I have a pimple rash that seems to be slowly spreeding all over my legs, does this sound like scabbies? does this sound like a case of scabbie infestation?

Customer:

its not itchy and i thought it was a heat pimple rash but they are filled with puss, not painful and not itchy just looks gross :)

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Yes it could be. all have to apply drug below neck all over. There may be secondary infection of initial rash. Additional antibiotic cream may be applied 2-3 times during day.

Customer:

i am presuming i would need a prescription for the antibiotic?

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Some OTC antiseptic creams are available, like providone iodine, bacitracin, neosporin etc.

Customer:

okay thanks for your time, I should probably see a doctor in person anyway and have them check me and bubs over.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

You are welcome.