Dr. Moscatel
Dr. Moscatel, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Double Board Certified: Internal Medicine & Pediatrics, Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics
20031379

My 16 month old has a runny nose, cough, and a temperature

My 16 month old has a runny nose, cough, and a temperature that goes up and down. she is not eating much but is also not drinking that much. don't know if i should take her in, fear of ear infection, a cold and teething or RSV. she woke today at 7am, went back to bed at 9:30 am woke at 1:00pm and is sleeping again at 3:30pm. i don't want her to get dehydrated. she is very fussy and wants to be held a lot. please help!
Hi there, sorry to hear she is unwell...how long has she been sick, and how high has her fever been? Also, does it come down with the meds?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it does come down with the meds and she when it is she likes to play and laugh still but very fussy. it was up to 102 F but now her fever isn't that bad. i guess i'm really concerned with the lack of drinking. her diaper was dry this morning then she had a bowel movement so changed her and las i checked she still had a dry diaper.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this has been going on for about 3 days
Ok, thanks for the additonal info. So, I am not so concerned about her dehydrating without there being any vomiting or diarrhea. Also, with her fevers not being through the roof, she is also unlikely to dehydrate. Certainly, the coaxing to drink should continue, as this is a mainstay of treatment for viral illnesses in general. Try giving her pedialyte, as this has a good balance of electrolytes needed. Forget about the food, she will eat when she wants too. If she were dehydrated, she would not be active, and would not be interested in playing or laughing. Literally, she would be like a limp noodle, and she would have a dry tongue, mouth, no tears when crying...If she won't drink even by tomorrow, then I would just take her to the pediatrician to get checked out. But, I do not think you need to rush out this evening to the ER. Does this help?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the sleeping a lot today is good for her then and just keep her comfortable with the ibprofen?
Yes, we always say rest, fluids, fever reducers...keep her comfortable, as you are doing. And if you step back and think about it, when you are sick, don't you just want to lie in bed and sleep? (don't you wish we could?)...:)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks so much! it does relieve my anxiety about the situation and i will just watch for her behavior to change in regards XXXXX XXXXX and fluid production. have a great day!
good, good, so glad to help!