Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S. , Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

I just noticed a lump in my 4 year old grandsons neck. It

Customer Question

I just noticed a lump in my 4 year old grandson's neck. It appears to be free-floating and the size of a pea. should i bring this to his doctors attention asap?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 years ago.
Greetings,

Since how long the lump is there? Is there any other symptom, pain? is it soft or hard? In precisely which area of neck? Is there any significant past illness?

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The lump has just been noticed tonight. There are no other symptoms or pain that he is communicating. It appears to be somwhat firm and is located in the right side of his neck, midway, but below his ear. There have been no significant illness but he does seem to have a chronic cold that varies from mild to more severe.
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the input.

The lump is likely to be due to a lymph node. Other probable causes are a cyst , lipoma etc. In most cases they are benign in nature. Lymph node can be there after a past infection & take time to get back to normalcy . If it grows in size it will need a review.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.