Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

3 year old girl with Bright green bowel movements. Solid and

Customer Question

3 year old girl with Bright green bowel movements. Solid and large - not constipated and not diarhea like - but definitely a wierd green
what could it be - she ate no vegetables or foods with color dies in them at all. she has had a ton of dairy today - 3 cups of milk, yogurt for breakfast and at one snack a stick of cheese and cheeseits at another. She also had cereal (kix) for breakfast and fish sticks for lunch
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 5 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you. Bright green stools, while alarming, are really nothing to be concerned about in a child with no other symptoms. The stool color is green in the small bowel since that is where bile (which is bright green) enters the intestine but by the time it reaches the colon it metabolizes to a brown color, thus the color of stools most of the time. If a child has a virus and diarrhea then the green bile color may not change as stool is passing through the bowel too quickly. Kids with lactose intolerance often have green stools for this reason. Most of the time however, the green color is due to some dye or food they've eaten recently and it doesn't have to been green food. Other dyes get digested, like bile, and change colors so along with green dye, blue also may appear green on the other end so I suspect the Kix cereal, even in small amounts. In any case, with no other symptoms you need not be concerned but might want to warn any other caretakers about it so they don't call you.

Customer :

okay well kix is corn based cereal and isn't green blue or any other color

Customer :

you still think it could cause that problem

Dr. A. Clark :

Yes but other foods have dyes in them as well so lots of possibilities. We see the same thing but with red stools when kids take Omnicef (Cefdenir), a common antibiotic, that is white!

Customer :

wierd

Customer :

okay well it concerned me because my son is so allergic

Customer :

but I suppose I will just watch her

Dr. A. Clark :

One of my grandsons has lactose intolerance and even with no diarrhea will have almost fluorescent green stools.

Dr. A. Clark :

This is not a sign of allergy at all so no concern about that at all.

Customer :

I kind of think this may be her problem they did suspect when she was little that she had a lactose issue and it is in the family

Customer :

My son also has FPIES

Dr. A. Clark :

Pediatricians get lots of questions about poop so we've seen just about every color and object pass in kids diapers or the toilet.

Customer :

Hannah has not yet been tested for any of these things but other then being slim doesn't show any other signs of allergy etc

Customer :

gotta love poop right ?:) thank you

Dr. A. Clark :

I'd just watch what she eats to see if you can reproduce the same green stools, not that they hurt her at all.

Customer :

okay will do thank you!

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome.