Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

My 2 year old is suddenly very moody, irritable, has lost her

My 2 year old is suddenly very moody, irritable, has lost her appetite at times, and vomited twice in one day with no fever or other flu/cold like symptoms. All this has been over the course of a week and normally I would pass it off as terrible two's, but one day she was very lethargic. She was a very happy girl before and now has complete melt-downs over nothing...
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 years ago.
Greetings,

How are her urine or stool? Any other symptom? Is there any tender point?

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Her urine seems to be normal. She had diarrhea for two days after she threw up. Then it got firm from giving her bananas and toast.
She perks up, or responds well when we give her juice...
She has complained about her left leg hurting on her thigh. But that was only twice it seems like.
One interesting thing was a mysterious bruise we found on her back on the tenth of November located over her right kidney. It was round and very dark with a raised lump in the middle. I thought it looked like a bug/spider bite. But there was no real bite mark. It was ever-so-slightly red on the raised part or lump. The bruise took over a week to go away.
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

Her symptom of loss of appetite, moody , irritable behavior needs to be investigated after examination by doctor. Refusal of feed is an indication that the baby is not feeling well. This can be due to an infection. Fever may not be present always. It is not clear what the bruise was. Blood tests can be needed to see if there is any change of count. Kidney or urine infection can cause nonspecific symptoms like nausea, vomiting. I think you should take her to doctor for an examination.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could this be an early sign of diabetes? Or another thing we were thinking was some kind of poisoning, like lead??? We have an appointment for her on Tuesday, and we are trying to recount everything we did prior to her change.
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 years ago.
How is her urine frequency? Did she have exposure to lead?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is still in diapers, so we can't be 100% sure, but my wife believes she does urinate frequently. I don't think she's been exposed to lead, but we are going through all her toys and things to make sure.
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 years ago.
If the preliminary blood tests suggests any suspicion of lead poisoning then the doctor can test for blood lead level. If you stay in the an old house not painted recently you can get her tested for lead level. When she passes urine frequently, it can be due to urinary tract infection or excess intake of fluid. Urine should be tested to exclude any infection.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
All he said to do was take her to the doctor, which we are planning on doing.
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 years ago.
Without physical examination & test , no body can pin point the diagnosis with nonspecific symptoms. What other information do you want to know?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We know she needs to see a doctor. And now I'm supposed to pay 45 dollars for something I already knew we needed to do. I'm not trying to be rude, but I guess I was hoping you could narrow it down for me...
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 years ago.
If you are not satisfied, you need not to pay. But what is apparent from her symptoms she does not sound to have lead poisoning. & for diabetes as I told it is more like an infection which I mentioned in my first answer. Best of luck.