Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp

My baby has a a red toe since birth it is slightly swollen

My baby has a a red toe (big toe) since birth it is slightly swollen and it hot to the touch what could it be? She is now 1 year old and it has persisted the whole time. The toenail does not grow cleanly i.e. it is a little flaky. I have asked 3 separate doctors and all have said not to worry, one suggested it was underdeveloped capillaries but it seems to be going on a bit too long (apparently they should have developed by now). The top of the toe has a red spot (not very defined) where it is normal colour. It does not seem to bother her. I live in rural Australia and find it difficult to get to a doctor. Please give me an idea. Regards
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Hello C, Sorry about this minor defect that is due to overgrown capillaries (and not underdeveloped ones) with more blood flowing through them causing hot feeling and swelling.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

This malformation will not cause any problem now or later, except perhaps more bleeding due to cut or injury there.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Nail growth would also be erratic due to underlying defect. You could later in childhood consult a vascular surgeon and get usg examination (digital substraction angiography) to better understand the defect and plan for definitive treatment.

What Happens Now?
It should read "USG- ultrasonography digital subtraction angiography"
Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Edited by Dr. Yogindra Vasavada on 11/16/2010 at 1:58 PM EST