Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 5 year old son has a dry hacking cough. He literally cannot

Customer Question

My 5 year old son has a dry hacking cough. He literally cannot speak or take more than three breaths without coughing. I have been told that there is absolutely nothing we can do. How can that be?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 5 years ago.

PediatricMD :

PediatricMD :

What all tests have been done, and what treatment has been given for the same?

PediatricMD :

Have the doctors diagnosed any cause for the cough,

PediatricMD :

?

PediatricMD :

Please get back with this information for further advise

Customer:

The doctors visit said that it was croup/ chronic cough syndrome and

Customer:

The doctors visit said that it was croup/ chronic cough syndrome and perscribed a mild steroid. The ER visit 6 hours later took x-rays, which were clear, and told me that he had a cold and there was no recourse whatsoever.

PediatricMD :

How long has this been going on?

PediatricMD :

Is he getting nebulised, did that make any difference>

PediatricMD :

?

PediatricMD :

Has he been seen by his pediatrician too?

PediatricMD :

What are the present meds that he is on?

PediatricMD :

regards

Customer:

He started with the sniffles shortly after school started; i thought it would just be a cold. It never really developed into a stuffy nose or mucusy cough; just a slightly annoying, dry cough. It has gotten progressively worse until this past Monday. I made an appointment with his pediatrician who diagnosed crupe/ chronic cough syndrome and perscribed 1tsp. of Prednisolone 15MG/ 5 ML sol. twice a day. Less than 5 hours later he was coughing so badly he could not catch his breath and i took him to the ER. The PA there told me it was just a cold and that we had no recourse whatsoever. No action was taken to help him at all. He isn't sleeping and cannot speak without coughing.

Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 5 years ago.

Hello JC,

Sorry about this acute illness. Some virus may have damaged his respiratory mucosa and now it is in process of regenerating. Old debris of membrane has to be expelled and he will have raw nerves there that are irritated. Please give him honey to sip every half to one hour, half tea spoonful, and make him gargle with warm saline water every few hours. He may take oral theophylline syrup also along with cough suppressant syrup.

Make him bring out sputum while in bout of cough, by bending him with head lower than chest and tummy, especially on empty stomach. This position he may maintain for few minutes to drain major airways of secretions, several times a day. Steam inhalation would also help.