Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

How can I flush a flying bug out of my sons ear

How can I flush a flying bug out of my son's ear?

Sorry he has this problem. Please fill his external ear canal with slightly warmed mineral oil, or liquid paraffin (even spirit or gasoline will do but can not warm these) keeping the opening facing up. Allow some time for the bug to drown in fluid and then turn the head so the ear opening faces down.

If the bug is small, and sticks to wall, a dead one will not disturb the child and you can visit health workers in ER any time for removal.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did that last night when it happened with mineral oil, but I believe the bug bit him. My son described a buzz and flutter for about 1/2 hour after I put the oil in his outer canal. He complained of pain this a.m. and I gave him some Tylenol. The oil drained but I did not see a bug. I do not want to use a cotton swab, as I may push it farther. Will it be likely to come out with ear wax??
I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you. I would suggest only putting alcohol in his ear as that will certainly kill the bug and then you can purchase one of the over the counter ear wash products (Murine) that will flush it out. It will not harm him even if it does not come out as the alcohol will kill it and the wax will trap it and it will work its way out with the wax.

Do NOT use paraffin as that hardens like candle wax or gasoline as that is dangerous to handle at any time.
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.