Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  9 years of practice in Pediatrics
20280540

My 20 month old had a fever of 102.9 for just over 24hrs starting

Customer Question

My 20 month old had a fever of 102.9 for just over 24hrs starting late Wed eve. It was reduced successfully with Advil and other than a couple of moments when the fever was highest, he acted normally. On the third day after symptoms started he developed a rash (pimple-like) on much of his body. It seems to be going away now (day 4) but I'm wondering if I should be concerned. Because the fever went away, he has not seen a doctor yet...
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Leah : Hello and thank you for your question. It sounds like your son may have had a viral illness called Roseola. This type of virus typically presents with fever higher than 102 with little or no other symptoms. When the fever resolves, a rash develops. The rash usually looks like pimples, starts on the trunk, and then spreads head to toe. The rash itself is benign and the illness is no longer contagious once the fever resolves. The rash resolves without treatment in a few days. If this has been the course of your son's illness, there is no reason for further concern. If, however, the fever returns or the rash persists, becoming painful or itchy, he should be seen by his Pediatrician. Hope this helps!
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 4 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the info! I did come across that diagnosis while looking on the internet. The only reason I was a little worried is because a little girl at daycare had strep throat last week. She was not in class the week she came down with it but I got nervous when I learned that strep can have a rash too. He didn't seem to have trouble eating though which I suspect he would with a sore throat. Is there a way to tell the difference between a strep rash and Roseola rash? Thanks again for your help!
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 4 years ago.
Strep throat typically presents with a painful sore throat and possibly, fever, swollen glands, and vomiting. It is possible to get a rash with a Strep infection, but the other symptoms typically co-exist with the rash. Unless your son has these other symptoms, a Strep infection is unlikely.

Having said this, there is a skin infection called impetigo that can be caused by Strep bacteria. The rash looks like yellow crusted lesions. This type of rash needs to be treated with antibiotics. From what you have described, specifically that his rash is self-resolving, I think impetigo is unlikely.
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience: 9 years of practice in Pediatrics
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much! That was my gut feeling too. Will mention to our pediatrician tomorrow (have to take the other baby in for a check up) but won't be dragging him in too just yet. Love this service!
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome!