Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 7 year old has a sore/bump on his lower inside lip. its

My 7 year old has a sore/bump on his lower inside lip. it's not open like a canker sore it looks like it's filled with fluid. sometimes it's white in color other times it's pink. He's had it for 3 wks little pain and it seems to be getting larger. we took him to our Dr. and she didn't know what to suggest for treatment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The bump developed after he began wearing a mouth guard for football. He hasn't used the mouth guard in almost two weeks.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 5 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you. This is known as a ranula and is treated by excision by a dentist or oral surgeon. It is due to an obstructed mucous duct in the lip and sometimes they just pop and go away but most of the time it requires a simple office procedure to remove it.

Dr. A. Clark :

Here is a reference on this topic:http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/847589-overview

JACUSTOMER-colrkflf- :

Will the office procedure require numbing of the area? I'm a little worried about my 7 year old freaking out.

Dr. A. Clark :

They just put a little topical anesthetic on first and then inject only if necessary. Once it is popped it may not return and after excision by a dentist or oral surgeon it is gone for good.

Dr. A. Clark :

It would be no worse than a filling or other dental procedure.

JACUSTOMER-colrkflf- :

You have been such a big help. I should have come here first before I paid a co-pay to our local Dr. We'll definitely use this service in the future. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Hartland, MI

JACUSTOMER-colrkflf- :

Just a little fact...you joined this service on our 7 yr olds birthday 4/17

Dr. A. Clark :

Even without seeing the patient we can do pretty well - especially us "seasoned" pediatricians!

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.