Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology
16877601

My baby has runny nose and cough but no fever, now he developed

Customer Question

My 9 months old baby has runny nose and cough but no fever for two weeks already, now he developed genital rash (looks like diaper red rash). Can it be viral infection? Should we see doctor right away? What treatment we can use?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 5 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Is the diaper rash red and flat or red with some raised bumps out from the main rash? Where is the rash exactly on his genitals? Are you giving any medicine, supplement, herbs by mouth, or using any cream to treat the rash? Thanks,

JACUSTOMER-ih2q1m7j- :

Rash is red and flat.No bumps. Rash is on anal area and genitals. We using only diaper rash cream Sudocrem.

Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience: Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 5 years ago.
Hello. The rash most likely is unrelated to the upper respiratory symptoms that your son has been having. The rash could just be from irritation or possibly a fungal infection. You mentioned that the rash is on the genitals which is common for fungal diaper rashes. If the rash has not improved using the Sudocrem, you may need a cream more specific for a fungal infection. I would recommend having your son's Pediatrician take a look at the rash since it persists. Also, if your son has truly had a cough for 2 weeks, it's not a bad a idea to have the doctor listen to his lungs to make sure his symptoms are still just viral. Hope this helps!