Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology
16877601

My baby has a lump near her shoulder blade and its soft and

My baby has a lump near her shoulder blade and it's soft and does not hurt. She is eight months old....is this a fatty deposit??
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Hello, When did you first notice it? Has her pediatrician examined it? How big and where is it more precisely? She's healthy and growing fine?
Thanks,

Customer :

Just noticed it this past weekend. Have not made an appt yet. It's soft and right at the scapular spine area, just inferior. (I'm a physical therapist) It's about the size of a prune. She's very healthy, growing, and eating great.

Customer :

When she reaches forward it flattens out somewhat.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Thanks for the helpful add'l info. It's likely a fatty deposit (lipoma) and of no medical consequence but it should be checked by her pediatrician. It's in the wrong place for a lymph node, and a hemangioma would be pink/red and likely present from birth ; and if it is soft and not painful/tender it's very unlikely to be a soft-tissue mass. Hope this helps ; please post with any follow up questions.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

An ultrasound may be possible if there's concern that this is fluid-filled.

Customer :

like a cyst?

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Yes.

Customer :

ok thank you. I got somewhat nervous because most things I read concerning fatty deposits were of newborn age.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

They can happen at any age. From your description, I am NOT worried but this should be checked by your daughter's pediatrician since I can't see/feel it.

Customer :

Yes, I plan to call tomorrow to set up an appointment. Helpful to get some sort of opinion since I'm a first time mom.

Customer :

I appreciate the help.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

You're welcome!! Best,