Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D. , Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology
16877601

I am not sure but I think my son swallowed a screw or nail.

Customer Question

I am not sure but I think my son swallowed a screw or nail. He seems to be ok but he is having flatuance and he has burped and it smelled really bad. He is eating and drinking like normal.I havn't noticed a fever or anything else that my suggest perforation but I don't if he swallowed it?? I didn't witness it until I went into my Aunt's and Uncle's room and saw the nails sitting on their shelf in the closet. I hope he didn't but how will I know for sure. He is ok right now and has been ok all afternoon. I first noticed the nails on the shelf within his reach this afternoon. Help we are just visiting and I had no clue?..HELP I am worried sick.
~Scared Mom
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 5 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Hello, What you do depends on your level of concern. I have no way to tell you whether or not he may have swallowed a nail. If you are worried, then you must take your son to the local ER, where they may do an Xray to look for a nail. If anything is visualized, they may need to do a scope procedure to remove it before it scratches / punctures the intestine. If you are worried, please take your child to ER now.